Carbon Zero Consulting provides technical and regulatory consulting services related to all aspects of managing your water supply.
Carbon Zero Consulting provide a full range of Field Services for the exploration, development, management and treatment of process water and groundwater.
- Audit and risk assessment services for private water supply systems
- Environment Agency liaison and field surveys to obtain consent to drill and test pump (Section WR32 applications and surveys)
- Supervision of borehole drilling from domestic scale to largest commercial water supplies
- Design and supervision of borehole testing programmes (to Environment Agency requirements) including provision of water level and water quality monitoring systems
- Water sampling and analysis for ‘clean’ water supplies
- Water and soil sampling for contaminated land assessment
- Field assessment of water and wastewater treatment systems including sampling and analysis of effluent and treated waters
Our service is based on over 30 years multi-national experience of water and natural resource management. Whether it is exploration of a new source of water or managing an existing resource we are here to help you – and to save money!
Borehole Water Supply; FeasibilityAs a first step we will use our experience of UK hydrogeology to tell you whether or not you will find the amount and quality of water you require beneath your site. Within a few days of your query we can tell you if your site is suitable for a borehole in a clearly explained, no-nonsense manner.
Example project: Assessment of viability for borehole water supplies at 15 garden centres across central and northern England
Borehole Design and InstallationThe UK is noted for its incredible range of hard rock and superficial geology. Nowhere else can you find such complexity and contrast within such a small area. We are experts in borehole design, from domestic to industrial scale, in all strata typically found in the UK from superficial sediments to hard rock.
We have excellent relations with the UK’s foremost drilling contractors. We can manage the process of drilling and testing of a new borehole to minimize risk, expense and disruption.
We also have sector leading expertise in borehole geophysical techniques that can help with borehole design and rehabilitation projects.
Example project: New borehole supplying water to a fishery in Shropshire, January 2012. Borehole design, drilling and testing completed within 1 month
Abstraction LicensingWe provide pragmatic regulatory input to borehole projects from the smallest (un-licensed 20m³/day) projects to large commercial or industrial abstractions.
As part of our work we provide a full abstraction licence application, licence trading and renewal service, acting as your agent throughout the Environment Agency process. We handle technical queries from the EA as required. Occasionally the process might require formulation and negotiation of a technical case to support an application. We have the skills and experience necessary to get the result you want.
Example project: Management of a long term project to licence a new groundwater abstraction and vary existing licenses for a large University in the north west of England
Management and Maintenance of Existing Borehole AssetsA borehole water supply is an important asset and should be treated as such.
We have worked on boreholes that are well over 100 years old which provide as much high quality water as the day they were drilled – but this is only because they have been well maintained! Too often we come across boreholes that have fallen into disrepair or abandoned altogether – because they have not had the same attention or maintenance as all other plant in the factory. We develop programs of rehabilitation based on sound knowledge of borehole construction, geology, water chemistry and pumping regime. A well maintained borehole will save you money – for a very long time!
Example project: continued input to the management of a 2-borehole system supplying all water to Nirvana Spa, England’s premier day spa. Also routine audit of water quality at the world heritage city of Bath’s famous hot springs spa; Thermae Bath Spa
Environmental PermittingOur input doesn’t just stop at abstraction. If you require a discharge (Environmental) Permit then we can help with the process of application and management of monitoring requirements.
Example project: Ground source heating/cooling schemes typically require an abstraction licence to take water from the ground and then a permit to re-inject the water to a different borehole. Carbon Zero Consulting has over 10 years experience of obtaining licences and permits for major commercial schemes in England, Scotland and Wales. We have helped companies including Vinci Construction, Wilkinson Stores, Kier, Turner & Townsend, Hoare Lea and many more
Water and Wastewater TreatmentWe have in-house expertise in all forms of water and wastewater treatment technologies ranging from ‘clean’ water conditioning systems such as media and/or membrane filtration, ion exchange and iron removal systems through to the most advanced high rate wastewater technologies such as bioreactors and membrane systems.Example project: Assessment of viability of treating water from a pre-war borehole for a large, well known breakfast cereal manufacturer. Water is to be used for steam raising and hot CIP. Filtration, chemical dosing and Reverse Osmosis (RO) desalination has been specified and shortly to be installed
Borehole InstallationWe don’t drill boreholes – but we know plenty of good companies that do! We have long-standing relationships with trustworthy drilling and test pumping contractors across the UK.
As consultants, Carbon Zero Consulting provide viability assessments and borehole designs and we also sort out all of the regulatory requirements for our client. We subsequently provide a range of site services during drilling and testing of the borehole(s).
All borehole projects are unique, but this is a summary of a typical process:
- We provide a borehole prognosis report.
- If this looks favourable in terms of cost, yield, quality and water availability (not all areas of the UK are open to new abstractions), then:
- We provide an outline design and/or borehole performance specification and arrange a tender process to identify the best value, competent contractor
- We make the required applications and perform the necessary surveys for the regulator (EA, SEPA or NRW) to obtain consent to drill and test a borehole (unless the borehole is required for less than the minimum daily volume of water – 20 cubic metres per day in England & Wales).
- The borehole is drilled to depth and the test pumping required by the regulator is performed. We are often asked to provide field supervision services during this phase.
- The data collected during drilling and testing is analysed and presented to the regulator as part of an application pack for an Abstraction Licence.
- The regulator processes the application – and in the majority of cases grants the client a licence to abstract. The licensing process takes 4 – 5 months to determine.
The timeframe for a typical commercial scale borehole development project is 12 months from feasibility through to obtaining a licence to pump your new borehole. For smaller, domestic boreholes this might only be a few months
Water Quality and Treatment
Carbon Zero Consulting is lucky to have a high level of in-house expertise in all aspects of water quality, water and wastewater treatment.
We can quickly get to grips with water and wastewater issues and offer advice on treatment processes or alternative approaches to address water quality problems.
Our advice has been utilised by many clients in many ways – ranging from treatment of domestic borehole water, investigation of major contamination incidents through to design and installation of industrial water treatment processes.
Recent projects include:
- Analysing water samples and specifying treatment processes for a large food factory to re-use water from an old borehole.
- Assessment of water quality problems at a large rural estate that had utilised spring water for over 100 years. Following much investigation and analysis we provided the works necessary to upgrade the pumping, treatment and distribution systems needed to bring the supply back to modern regulatory standards.
Regulation, Licensing and Negotiation
We have an excellent, and lengthy, track record in obtaining licenses and permits from our UK regulators; Environment Agency, SEPA and Natural Resources Wales.
We are often asked to help to solve complex or more unusual licensing or permitting challenges.
Our successes range from licensing farm water supplies through to negotiating and obtaining licenses and discharge permits for very large open loop ground source schemes.
We always remain up to date with regulatory changes and consultations so that we can provide you with the effective, accurate and current advice.
Expert WitnessWe provide expert witness services in all our areas of our experience and expertise; Ground Source Heating and Water Management.
We have a unique blend of Engineering and Earth science experience with excellent ability to draft detailed technical assessments and reports for use in civil, criminal and adjudication cases.
A testimonial from a specialist solicitor can be provided.
Please contact us to see how we can help you with your case.